|By Chiefs Office|
|November 28, 2019|
The members of the Wading River Fire Department wishes everyone a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving!
The Wading River Fire Department reminds the community to avoid being careless or distracted when
it comes to kitchen safety as families gather for Thanksgiving this year.
National and state statistics show Thanksgiving is the leading day for home fires involving cooking
equipment. Nationally, an estimated 2,000 Thanksgiving Day fires in residential buildings are reported
to U.S. fire departments each year and cause an estimated average of 5 deaths, 25 injuries, and
$21 million in property loss. Unattended cooking is the leading contributing factor in all cooking fires.
We urge remembering some simple but important rules when they’re in the kitchen.
The WRFD offers these safety tips (and this helpful graphic) as a reminder to cook smart this year.
• Use a kitchen timer to remind yourself when you are cooking.
• Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, boiling, grilling or broiling.
• Never leave the fryer unattended. Most fryer units do not have thermostat controls.
• Never let children or pets near the fryer, even if it is not in use.
• To prevent spillover, do not overfill the fryer.
• Use well-insulated potholders or oven mitts when touching pot or lid handles.
• The National Turkey Foundation recommends thawing the turkey in the
• Keep an all-purpose fire extinguisher nearby. Never use water to extinguish
If the fire increases, immediately call the fire department by dialing 911.